Dr. Chris W. Macosko
Christopher W. Macosko received his Ph.D. degree in Chemical Engineering in 1970 from Princeton University. In 1970, he was appointed as a professor of Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at the uyniversity of Minnesota. As of December 2017, Macosko has graduated over 100 Ph.D. students, and has supervised more than 50 postdoctoral researchers.
He received several awards including:
- Charles M.A. Stine Award in Materials Engineering and Sciences, AIChE - 1988.
- Silver Medal for published work, The Institute of Materials, London - 1995.
- E. B. Nilson Award for Christian Leadership at Secular Universities - 1995.
- Turner Alfrey Visiting Professor, Michigan Macromolecular Institute - 1995.
- Fellow of the Society of Plastics Engineers - 1997.
- Pall Award for Applied Polymer Research - 1997.
- International Award, Society of Plastics Engineers - 1999.
- Science and Religion Course Program Grant, John Templeton Foundation - 2000
- National Academy of Engineering - 2001
- Bingham Medal, Society of Rheology - 2004
- Publication Award, Journal of Rheology - 2004, 2007
- Aris Mentoring Award, University of Minnesota Christian Faculty - 2005
- Banbury Award, American Chemical Society, Rubber Division - 2006
- Elected Fellow, American Physical Society - 2008
- Davis Fellowship at the Technion, Israel - 2008
- Society of Polymer Science Japan (SPSJ) International Award - Sept. 2008
His research interests include:
- Rheology of polymer materials
- Network polymerization
- Nanoparticle reinforced polymer composites
- Interfacial reaction during polymer blending
- Polymerization with phase separation
Selected Representative Publications:
- Rheology: Principles, Measurements and Applications, Wiley/VCH; Poughkeepsie, NY, (1994)
- Formation of Block Copolymer-Protected Nanoparticles via Reactive Impingement Mixing; Zhu, Z.X.; Anacker, J.L.; Ji, S.X.; Hoye, T.R.; Macosko, C.W.; Prud'homme, R.K.; Langmuir, 2007, 23, 10499.
- Melt Blown Nanofibers: Fiber Diameter Distributions and Onset of Fiber Breakup; B. Ellison, C.; Phatak, A.; Giles, D.W.; Macosko C.W.; Bates, F.S. Polymer, 2007, 48, 3306.
- Substituting Soybean Oil-based Polyol into Polyurethane Flexible Foams; C. Zhang, L., Jeon, H.K., Malsam, J., Herrington, R., Macosko, C.W.; Polymer, 2007, 48, 6656.
- Polymer-polymer mutual diffusion via rheology of coextruded multilayers; R. Zhao and C.W. Macosko, AIChE J., 2007, 53, 978-985. DOI: 10.1002/aic.11136.
- Ultra-low interfacial tensions of polymer/polymer interfaces with diblock copolymer surfactants, K. Chang, C.W. Macosko, and D.C. Morse, Macromolecules, 2007, 40(10), 3819-3830. DOI: 10.1021/ma062277a.
- Quantifying dispersion of layered nanocomposites via melt rheology, J. Vermant, S. Ceccia, M.K. Dolgovskij, P.L. Maffettone, and C.W. Macosko, J. Rheol, 2007, 51, 429-450. DOI: 10.1122/1.2516399.
- Morphology and properties of polyester/exfoliated graphite nanocomposites, H. Kim and C.W. Macosko, Macromolecules, 2007, in press.
- How Dilute are dilute solutions in extensional flows?, C. Clasen, J.P. Plog, W.-M.Kulicke, M. Owens, C.W. Macosko, L.E. Scriven, M. Verani, G.H. McKinley, J Rheol, 2006, 50, 849-881. DOI: 10.1122/1.2357595.